Coconut Fried Shrimp Recipe
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups cornstarch
- 6-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1-1/2 cups cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon canola oil
- 2-1/2 cups flaked coconut
- 1 pound uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Additional oil for deep-fat frying
- 1 cup orange marmalade
- 1/4 cup honey
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Stir in water and oil until smooth. Place coconut in another bowl. Dip shrimp into batter, then coat with coconut.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry shrimp, a few at a time, for 3 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- In a small saucepan, heat marmalade and honey; stir until blended. Serve with shrimp. Yield: 4 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Coconut Fried Shrimp
Sort By :
"We love shrimp in the south & this hits the spot."
"This was my first attempt at cooking shrimp and I was not disappointed! The whole family loved it! None of us cared for the dipping sauce though, but I'll be making this shrimp from now on."
"I made this recipe last night and it was a hit. My 20 year old son and his girlfriend loves it. I only used 3/4 cup of of cornstarch because I ran out but added more flour to make it thicker. The batter turned out nice and crunchy. Tasty light supper!"
"These were the best ever. I thought the batter was going to be to thick but followed it just like others said and it turned out so crunchy. The sauce was the best. Didn't think i'd like the sauce but had some orange maralade in the fridge from another recipe so gave it a try, was the best."
"This is one of my favorite recipes for a special occasion & is a main stay for Christmas eve at my home (we celebrate with the 7 fishes). A nice change from the same old shrimp cocktail. I add extra cajun spice to the flour mixture and add a cup of pineapple preserves & a teaspoon of dijon mustard to the orange marmalade to the dipping sauce...I leave out the honey. Just our preference. Wow! Everyone looks forward to these...plus they are so fast & it makes any party seem special...the room gets quiet with crunching...listen to the oohs and aah's!"