- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- Pecan halves, optional
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg whites and extract. Combine the flour, baking powder and
- salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with milk,
- beating well after each addition. Fold in almonds and hazelnuts.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at
- 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the
- center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to
- wire racks.
- In a large saucepan, combine the evaporated milk, sugar, butter and
- egg yolks. Cook and stir over medium heat for 10-12 minutes until
- mixture reaches 160° or is thick enough to coat the back of a
- metal spoon. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Stir in coconut
- and nuts. Cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, cream cheese and vanilla until
- smooth. Gradually add confectioners' sugar. Beat in milk until light
- and fluffy. Spread filling between cake layers. Frost top and sides
- of cake. Garnish with pecans if desired. Store in the refrigerator.
- Yield: 12-14 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 692 calories, 37 g fat (18 g saturated fat), 98 mg cholesterol, 469 mg sodium, 84 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.