If you are nuts about chocolate and coconut, this is definitely the cupcake for you. The chocolate ganache is so tempting, you just might end up with a shortage of frosting!—LuAnn Klink, Frostburg, Maryland
- 1 egg white
- Dash salt
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- Toasted coconut and chocolate curls
- For filling, place egg white and salt in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Combine coconut and flour; set aside. Beat egg white on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating on high until glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually fold in coconut mixture, about 1/4 cup at a time; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk and water. Fill paper-lined muffin cups half full. Drop filling by teaspoonfuls into center of each cupcake. Cover with 2 tablespoons batter.
- Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the cake portion comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For glaze, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar and milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; stir in shortening and chocolate chips until melted. Beat until thickened. Spread over cupcakes and garnish with toasted coconut and chocolate curls. Yield: 26 cupcakes.
Originally published as Coconut-Filled Chocolate Cupcakes in Country Woman April/May 2012
Reviews for Coconut-Filled Chocolate Cupcakes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review