- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- Toasted coconut and chocolate curls
- For filling, place egg white and salt in a small bowl; let stand at
- room temperature for 30 minutes. Combine coconut and flour; set
- aside. Beat egg white on medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add sugar, beating on high until glossy peaks form and
- sugar is dissolved. Gradually fold in coconut mixture, about 1/4 cup
- at a time; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, cocoa, salt and
- baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk and
- water. Fill paper-lined muffin cups half full. Drop filling by
- teaspoonfuls into center of each cupcake. Cover with 2 tablespoons
- Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in
- the cake portion comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before
- removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For glaze, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar and milk. Bring to
- a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; stir in
- shortening and chocolate chips until melted. Beat until thickened.
- Spread over cupcakes and garnish with toasted coconut and chocolate
- curls. Yield: 26 cupcakes.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cupcake (calculated without garnishes) equals 298 calories, 13 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 162 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.