- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in coconut and walnuts.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 3 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Flatten slightly. Bake 11-14 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 2 minutes before removing to wire racks. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 5-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Coconut Drop Cookies
"I couldn't keep these in the cookie jar! Delicious and chewy!"
"My husband can't eat a lot of sweets. Due to a medication he takes, a lot of foods taste bad to him. These are the first cookies that he's found that he absolutely loves. They are sweet without being overpoweringly so. I've already made three batches for this holiday season. They are a hit at the office too!"
"I found these cookies to not have much flavor. Must be better recipes out there for coconut cookies!"
"These cookies have a great flavor and mix up with ease. My one problem was that they were almost like a granola (kind of crumbly and dry) until I added a scant 1/4 c. milk. Did anyone else have that problem?"
"These are good!!!"