Coconut Date Balls
There are a few classic recipes I absolutely have to pull out every Christmas, and this is one of those. These chewy balls are surprisingly crunchy and they look so pretty on a holiday candy tray.
30 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup crisp rice cereal
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flaked coconut
- In a saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Stir in the dates, sugar
- and eggs. Cook and stir over low heat for 10-15 minutes or until
- thermometer reads 160°. Remove from the heat; stir in the
- pecans, cereal and vanilla. When cool enough to handle, shape into
- 1-in. balls; roll in coconut. Place on waxed paper-lined baking
- sheets. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until firm. Store in an
- airtight container in the refrigerator. Yield: about 5 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 130 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 60 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.