Coconut Custard Pie Recipe
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1 refrigerated pastry shell (9 inches)
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-3/4 cups fat-free milk
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons coconut extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. Place coconut in an ungreased 9-in. pie plate. Bake at 350° for 4 minutes, stirring several times; set aside. (Coconut will not be fully toasted.)
- 2. Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 4-6 minutes longer. Cool.
- 3. In a bowl, beat the eggs and salt for 5 minutes. (Mixture will be lemon-colored and slightly thickened.) Add the milk, sugar substitute, coconut extract and vanilla. Transfer to crust. (Crust will be full.)
- 4. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with coconut. Bake 8-10 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean and coconut is lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Cover and refrigerate. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece: 214 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 112mg cholesterol, 320mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (6g sugars, trace fiber), 6g protein
Reviews for Coconut Custard Pie
"Made this precisely by the recipe, and it tasted salty. Is 1/2 teaspoon absolutely necessary for beating with the eggs?"
"I cook for a senior citizens group and I use a lot of low fat and reduced sugar recipes and this one is excellent."