Coconut Custard Pie Recipe
"My husband and I are both diabetic. We really appreciate desserts such as this creamy custard pie," says Eva Wright of Grant, Alabama. Coconut extract in the filling and a toasted coconut topping flavor the tasty low-sugar creation.
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1 refrigerated pastry shell (9 inches)
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-3/4 cups fat-free milk
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons coconut extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. Place coconut in an ungreased 9-in. pie plate. Bake at 350° for 4 minutes, stirring several times; set aside. (Coconut will not be fully toasted.)
- 2. Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 4-6 minutes longer. Cool.
- 3. In a bowl, beat the eggs and salt for 5 minutes. (Mixture will be lemon-colored and slightly thickened.) Add the milk, sugar substitute, coconut extract and vanilla. Transfer to crust. (Crust will be full.)
- 4. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with coconut. Bake 8-10 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean and coconut is lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Cover and refrigerate. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece equals 214 calories, 12 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 112 mg cholesterol, 322 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC