I took these yummy treats to a picnic for our computer club one year, and they went like hotcakes! I should have made a double batch. With their creamy frosting and sprinkling of coconut, they appeal to kids and adults alike.—Judy Wilson, Sun City West, Arizona
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1-1/4 cups flaked coconut
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Additional flaked coconut, toasted
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Fold in coconut.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and extracts until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar. Frost cupcakes; sprinkle with toasted coconut. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Coconut Cupcakes in Taste of Home June/July 2003, p31
Reviews for Coconut Cupcakes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review