Coconut-Crusted Perch Recipe
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 cups crushed butter-flavored crackers (about 50 crackers)
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 pounds perch fillets
- 1 cup canola oil, divided
- 1. For sweet-sour sauce, combine the preserves, ketchup, corn syrup, lemon juice and ginger in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat and keep warm.
- 2. In a shallow dish, combine the cracker crumbs and coconut. In another shallow dish, whisk the eggs, milk and salt. Dip each fillet in egg mixture, then coat with crumb mixture.
- 3. In a large skillet, cook fish in 3 tablespoons oil in batches over medium-high heat for 1-2 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily with a fork, adding oil as needed. Serve with sweet-sour sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
4-1/2 ounces of cooked fish with 4 teaspoons sweet-sour sauce equals 497 calories, 20 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 201 mg cholesterol, 570 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 37 g protein.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.