Coconut-Crusted Perch Recipe
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 cups crushed butter-flavored crackers (about 50 crackers)
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 pounds perch fillets
- 1 cup canola oil, divided
- For sweet-sour sauce, combine the preserves, ketchup, corn syrup, lemon juice and ginger in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat and keep warm.
- In a shallow dish, combine the cracker crumbs and coconut. In another shallow dish, whisk the eggs, milk and salt. Dip each fillet in egg mixture, then coat with crumb mixture.
- In a large skillet, cook fish in 3 tablespoons oil in batches over medium-high heat for 1-2 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily with a fork, adding oil as needed. Serve with sweet-sour sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Coconut-Crusted Perch(3)
Sort By :
I've been making this for my family for years. I've always used talipia and it turns out great! I've also recently went on a diet so i cut out the evaporated milk and used skim and grille it on my griddle instead of frying it. Also used sugar free preserves and reduced fat ritz. Couldn't tell the difference at all!
This was very good, one of my family's favorite ways to eat fish. Even my little sister who hates fish will eat this.
This a very delightful dish, and easy to make. The flavor was wonderful. I used talapia, but this would lend well to any white fish. I made no other changes. Will definitely make again.