- 6 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups cake flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (13.66 ounces) coconut milk
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sweetened shredded coconut
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Combine the coconut milk, milk and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk mixture.
- With clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually fold into batter. Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Place pan on a wire rack.
- Poke holes in cake with a skewer, about 1/2 in. apart. Combine syrup ingredients; slowly pour over cake, allowing mixture to absorb into cake. Let stand for 30 minutes. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until soft peaks form. Spread over cake; sprinkle with coconut. Yield: 15 servings.
Reviews forCoconut Cream Yummy Cake
"This cake turns out well every time and is a favorite of my coworkers. It's one of the few recipes that I have not tweaked and am pleased to share with others."
""Coconut Milk" is available in like four different places in the grocery store, plus of course, inside the coconut. Are we talking about the one inside the coconut , in the asian food section, refrigerated section, the paper box like chicken stock, in the alcoholic beverage mixes... which one, specifically"?"
"Amazing! Made it so many times since :)"
"Absolutely amazing! Even better than it looks!!"
"This is SO yummy....my husband loved it. I cheated by using a white cake mix using coconut milk as the liquid. Its great."
"HAD THIS FOR EASTER & GOT RAVES"
"I tried this recipe for a family reunion. I poured the syrup while the cake was very hot and allowed the correct time for it to absorb. Unfortunately I tasted a small pinch from one corner and thought the cake was going to soggy. I didn't have time to bake another before the group arrived, so I cut small pieces and apologized for the cake. BOY WAS I WRONG! Perhaps because the cake had set another day, the syrup was absorbed; everyone raved about the cake; my granddaughter put in an early request for this to be her special birthday cake; my Dad set aside "his piece" before eating the next meal, so someone else wouldn't get it; some of the relatives looked up the recipe as soon as they got back home. It is a little time consuming, but if you enjoy sharing a really good recipe - it's well worth the time & cost of ingredients. This is definitely a new addition to our "family favorites""
"I've made this cake several times! It has received fantastic reviews and may requests. I've read several reviews that had a hard time with the syrup absorbing. Here is what has worked great for me: I poke LOTS of holes with the flat side of a skewer into the cake, and pour the syrup on while the cake is hot. I pour half on and then tilt pan as needed to distribute the syrup. Once the syrup is absorbed I add the remaining syrup, again tilting the pan to distribute the syrup. Once the cake has cooled I lay plastic wrap on the surface of the cake. I usually wait until the next day to remove the wrap and ice the cake. This cake really tastes best when left to sit for about 12 hours. The wrap also stops any syrup film from forming. I also have added 1/8 t of coconut extract to the syrup if I'm making it for someone who is crazy about coconut."
"The cake was BAD soggy on the top and hard on the bottom the syrup does not soak in all the way!! I am so disapointed I was going to take it to my in laws for Easter tomorrow and now I have nothing b/c this was SO BAD!!!!"