- With clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks
- form. Gradually fold into batter. Spread into a greased 13-in. x
- 9-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until cake springs back when
- lightly touched. Place pan on a wire rack.
- Poke holes in cake with a skewer, about 1/2 in. apart. Combine syrup
- ingredients; slowly pour over cake, allowing mixture to absorb into
- cake. Let stand for 30 minutes. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add
- confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until soft peaks form. Spread
- over cake; sprinkle with coconut.
- Yield: 15 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 piece (calculated without coconut) equals 491 calories, 29 g fat (21 g saturated fat), 66 mg cholesterol, 363 mg sodium, 52 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.