Coconut Cream Pudding
"A golden baked meringue makes the crowning touch to this mouthwatering dessert."—Verona Koehlmoos, Pilger, Nebraska
9 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + cooling Bake: 10 min.
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3 cups milk
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine 3/4 cup sugar and cornstarch; stir
- in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until thick and
- bubbly; cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat.
- In a bowl, beat egg yolks. Stir 1 cup hot milk mixture into yolks;
- return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil over
- medium heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in coconut and vanilla. Cool to lukewarm without stirring.
- Pour into an ungreased 8-in. square baking dish. In a large bowl and
- with clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks
- form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on
- high until stiff peaks form. Spread over pudding, sealing to edges.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 10-15 minutes. Serve warm. Yield: 9
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 257 calories, 9 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 106 mg cholesterol, 96 mg sodium,