"A golden baked meringue makes the crowning touch to this mouthwatering dessert."—Verona Koehlmoos, Pilger, Nebraska
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3 cups milk
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine 3/4 cup sugar and cornstarch; stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until thick and bubbly; cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat.
- In a bowl, beat egg yolks. Stir 1 cup hot milk mixture into yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in coconut and vanilla. Cool to lukewarm without stirring.
- Pour into an ungreased 8-in. square baking dish. In a large bowl and with clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Spread over pudding, sealing to edges. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 10-15 minutes. Serve warm. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Coconut Cream Pudding in Taste of Home October/November 1995, p45
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Coconut Cream Pudding
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review