- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3 cups milk
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine 3/4 cup sugar and cornstarch; stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until thick and bubbly; cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat.
- In a bowl, beat egg yolks. Stir 1 cup hot milk mixture into yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in coconut and vanilla. Cool to lukewarm without stirring.
- Pour into an ungreased 8-in. square baking dish. In a large bowl and with clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Spread over pudding, sealing to edges. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 10-15 minutes. Serve warm. Yield: 9 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Coconut Cream Pudding
Sort By :
"Slight variation. I added a layer of butter cookies on the bottom and up the sides for a little crusty texture. It was a hit!"
"Great recipe. I added butter cookies on the bottom and up the sides of dish to give a little crust and texture. It was a hit. I think I'll add a crust with some pecans (as in choc delight) next time."
"Definitely a keeper! For iceus2, your eggs must have been bad..."
"Oh, me again. I would also like to add that you should not use as much sugar. I practically made my mom's hair curl."
"I do not know why but this recipe did not work for me! AT ALL!!! Everything was going fine until the meringue. It would not stiffen up! Finally I just gave up after an hour of trying to save the meringue and two phone calls to great chefs. I just poured the "meringue" on top anyway. When it came out of the oven, the dessert was smelling really strongly of SULFUR! The only person in my family who liked was my dog. He loved it."