Coconut Cream Meringue Pie Recipe
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1. Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
- 2. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; gently stir in vanilla and coconut. Pour into crust.
- 3. For meringue, beat egg whites and cream of tartar in a small bowl, on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to crust. Sprinkle with coconut.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for 3 hours before serving. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 366 calories, 17 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 93 mg cholesterol, 273 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Reviews for Coconut Cream Meringue Pie
"Fed the hungry troops returning from Iraq with this coconut cream pie. They didn't know wether to eat it or bath in it. They left with stars in their eyes."
"very nice recipes"
"i loved MCL restarunts coconut cream pie and this tate just like it !"
"Two people have already asked me for the recipe. I recommend it!"
"This is the same recipe i've used for years. Its the only one that I will make because its always great!!"
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.