Coconut Cream Dream Cake Recipe
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons water
- 2 teaspoons light corn syrup
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup cold 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/2 cup instant vanilla pudding mix
- 6 tablespoons flaked coconut, divided
- 1. In a small bowl, cream the sugar, shortening and butter until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and yolk. Add vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Beat just until combined.
- 2. Pour into two 6-in. round baking pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
- 3. In a double boiler over simmering water, combine the sugar, water, corn syrup, egg white and cream of tartar. With a portable mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating on low over low heat until frosting reaches 160°, about 5 minutes. Pour into a small bowl; add vanilla. Beat on high until stiff peaks form, about 7 minutes.
- 4. In a bowl, whisk the milk, extract and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. Finely chop 1/4 cup coconut; fold into pudding mix.
- 5. Split each cake into two horizontal layers. Spread a third of the pudding over one cake layer; repeat layers twice. Top with remaining cake. Frost top and sides. Toast remaining coconut; sprinkle over top. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 6 servings.
1 slice equals 413 calories, 12 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 86 mg cholesterol, 445 mg sodium, 70 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.