- In a small bowl, cream the sugar, shortening and butter until light
- and fluffy. Beat in egg and yolk. Add vanilla. Combine the flour,
- baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with
- milk. Beat just until combined.
- Pour into two 6-in. round baking pans coated with cooking spray. Bake
- at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool
- In a double boiler over simmering water, combine the sugar, water,
- corn syrup, egg white and cream of tartar. With a portable mixer,
- beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating on low over low
- heat until frosting reaches 160°, about 5 minutes. Pour into a
- small bowl; add vanilla. Beat on high until stiff peaks form, about
- 7 minutes.
- In a bowl, whisk the milk, extract and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Let
- stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. Finely chop 1/4 cup coconut;
- fold into pudding mix.
- Split each cake into two horizontal layers. Spread a third of the
- pudding over one cake layer; repeat layers twice. Top with remaining
- cake. Frost top and sides. Toast remaining coconut; sprinkle over
- top. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 slice equals 413 calories, 12 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 86 mg cholesterol, 445 mg sodium, 70 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.