- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup flaked coconut
- In a small heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Add milk; stir until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir for 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; stir in the coconut, butter and vanilla. Pour into prepared shell.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar and vanilla on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue over hot filling, sealing edges to crust. Sprinkle with coconut.
- Bake at 350° for 17-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Store leftovers in the refrigerator. Yield: 8 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Coconut Cream Angel Pie
Sort By :
"Very good and easy."
"This pie was delicious. My only problem was that my meringue weeped (got wet between the custard and meringue. Humidity was likely the culprit."
"Excellent pieAdded 1 cup of coconutWill double meringue next time"
"Both my husband and I love Coconut Cream Pie. This is a very good recipe and we absolutely loved it. I made it twice in one week! I will be making this recipe over and over again. Definitely a keeper!!!"
"My dad's favorite pie is coconut. I have never made a meringue pie before but I tried this for his birthday this year. He said it was probably the best one he has ever had!!! Needless to say it didn't last long and I will be making it a lot in the future!"