Coconut Cream Angel Pie Recipe
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1. In a small heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Add milk; stir until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir for 2 minutes longer.
- 2. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; stir in the coconut, butter and vanilla. Pour into prepared shell.
- 3. In a small bowl, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar and vanilla on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue over hot filling, sealing edges to crust. Sprinkle with coconut.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 17-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Store leftovers in the refrigerator. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece: 342 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 92mg cholesterol, 255mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 0 fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Coconut Cream Angel Pie
"I cannot say enough about this pie! It was so easy and delicious. I made it exactly as written, with the exception of adding a half teaspoon of coconut extract in addition to the vanilla in the custard. I'm usually a little bit scared of custards as I seem to struggle with tempering the eggs and end up with lumps, but this time it was silky smooth. It set up perfectly, despite the fact I barely gave it the recommended chilling time. I will make this again and again..... especially since my usually not-so-fond-of-pie husband declared it a great success!"
"we loved the pie... but we done abit of change - we used cool whip (tub) and t turned out - yum!!!"
"This sounded like a good receipe. I tried it. Turned out horrible, did not gel.., went by receipt exactly , was a mess & embarrassment. Won't use again. Do not recommend."
"Very good and easy."
"This pie was delicious. My only problem was that my meringue weeped (got wet between the custard and meringue. Humidity was likely the culprit."
"Excellent pieAdded 1 cup of coconutWill double meringue next time"
"Both my husband and I love Coconut Cream pie. This is a very good recipe and we absolutely loved it. I made it twice in one week! I will be making this recipe over and over again. Definitely a keeper!!!"
"I have made this twice already in the last week. Delicious !!! Everybody loved it!"
"i LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE COCOANUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
"Really good coconut pie with less sugar than most. However, I added more coconut to the filling."
"This recipe is like one my family has used for over 40 years. The only difference is the amount of sugar used. The filling is also great for banana cream pie, just omit the coconut and coconut flavoring."
"This is my husband's favorite pie so I decided to try this recipe for Father's Day. It is so good and very attractive. Next time when I make this pie I will not add the coconut on top until it has baked for about 10 - 15 minutes. The coconut turned dark brown in my oven when put on top at the beginning of the baking time. I too added extra coconut, coconut extract with the vanilla extract. Will definitely make again and again."
"best I have ever made, thank you for this wonderful easy recipe! We will make again...."
"This is the recipes I have used since I started to cook. The only thing differentis I add some of the meringue to filling so it not so heavy"
"very good recipe. for you people that said it didn't say boiling,well it did state bubbly,kind of the same thing."
"The recipe said nothing about "boiling" the meringue - don't know where that idea came from. It was delicious and I will be using this recipe often. We love coconut!!"
"not sure what kathy was talking about boiling the meringue.........never saw that part... the rest was excellent!!"
"pie was delicious, however, I would make a different merringue as this one was tasteless. I had never made a merringue by boiling it before and prefer the "traditional" one."
"Very good and easy to make. I did make a slight change. Instead of using 1.5 tsp of vanilla extract in the filling I used .75 tsp of vanilla extract and .75 tsp of coconut extract. I will definitely make this again."
"LOVED it except I used graham cracker crust...Just my preference.. Awesome easy recipe.."
"This is a very good recipe. I will definitely be making it again. I don't know what recipe olddutch was reading but there is nothing in here about a skillet. And if you cut the pieces bigger than you will get less than 8 servings. That is not hard to figure out.The only thing I would do is add a little more coconut."
"Awesome recipe, it was gone before it even cooled"
"Coconut cream angel pie is so simple to make and tastes so good, my family and I make it any time we have all the ingredients. It's a keeper and definitely going in my recipe box."
"Family was happy with this and it is a keeper and easy to make. I made the filling in the mirco wave and very quick and easy."
"made this for Easter and it was a big hit! next time I'll use just a bit more coconut. very good though!"