"Guaranteed to make you think of warm spring breezes, these crispy coconut cookies couldn't be easier to whip up." notes Aley Thorne from Los Molinos, California. "We've enjoyed them for years and now, our grandchildren ask for them in their college care packages," she says.
12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup crisp rice cereal
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugars. Add egg and vanilla; mix
- well. Combine flour and baking soda; add to the creamed mixture and
- mix well. Stir in cereal and coconut.
- Roll into 24 balls; place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake
- at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned and set. Cool
- for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks. Yield: 2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 212 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 93 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.