Make a showstopper holiday treat: tender white cake layered with tangy grapefruit curd and topped with fluffy cream cheese frosting. To make it more spectacular add a little toasted coconut and some citrus garnishes. Your guests will never guess you started with a convenient boxed mix. —Carmell Childs, Ferron, UT
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 3 large eggs
- GRAPEFRUIT FILLING:
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 2/3 cup ruby red grapefruit juice
- 1 tablespoon butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup whipped cream cheese
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon ruby red grapefruit juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut
- Toasted flaked coconut, optional
- Orange and grapefruit slices
- Preheat oven to 350°. Combine first eight ingredients; beat on low speed 30 seconds. Increase speed to medium; beat 2 minutes. Pour into two greased and floured 8-in. round pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 28-32 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, for grapefruit filling, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt in a large saucepan. Stir in water and grapefruit juice until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to medium; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat; gently stir in butter. Cool to room temperature without stirring. Cover and refrigerate filling until cold.
- Place one cooled cake layer on a serving plate; top with half of cooled grapefruit filling. Repeat layers.
- For frosting, beat cream cheese, sugar, juices and orange peel until blended. Gently fold in whipped cream and 3/4 cup coconut. Frost sides of cake; if desired, lightly frost top of cake, covering grapefruit filling. Refrigerate until cold, 3-4 hours. Sprinkle with toasted coconut if desired. Top with orange and grapefruit slices. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Coconut Citrus Layer Cake in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2016, p136
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Coconut Citrus Layer Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review