Coconut Chocolate Muffins Recipe
With a rich, dark chocolate flavor and luscious cream cheese-coconut topping, these irresistible muffins taste more like a decadent dessert than a morning treat.—Sonia Daily, Rochester, Michigan
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min. YIELD:14 servings
- 1/2 cup cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup brewed coffee, room temperature
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1. In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar and flour until smooth. Beat in egg. Stir in 2/3 cup chocolate chips; set aside. In another bowl, combine the coconut, pecans and remaining chips; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, cocoa, baking soda and cinnamon. In another bowl, combine the coffee, oil and vinegar; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- 3. Fill paper-lined muffin cups half full. Drop a rounded tablespoonful of cream cheese mixture into the center of each; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon coconut mixture.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm. Yield: 14 muffins.
1 muffin equals 301 calories, 16 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 136 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC