Coconut Chocolate-Covered Cherries Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 cups finely chopped walnuts
- 2 jars (16 ounces each) maraschino cherries with stems, well drained and patted dry
- 2 packages (11-1/2 ounces each) milk chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1. In a large bowl, beat butter and confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Beat in milk and vanilla until well blended and mixture looks like softened butter. Fold in the coconut and walnuts.
- 2. With moist hands, shape 2 teaspoonfuls of coconut mixture around each cherry, forming a ball. Place on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until chilled.
- 3. In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip coated cherries into chocolate. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 month. Yield: about 5 dozen.
1 each: 131 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 31mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Coconut Chocolate-Covered Cherries
"everyone at work loved them"
"This recipe is delicious! I made them for our family Christmas party. I found that chilling the coconut mixture well, before wrapping it around the cherries, and again aftering wrapping the cherries, makes it much easier to handle and helps the chocolate set much faster. Otherwise the filling is too sticky. I would make these again and will add them to my favorite Christmas recipes!"