Coconut Chocolate Cake
This heavenly cake, from Elsie Shell of Topeka, Indiana, is so rich and gooey you wouldn't guess it starts with a boxed cake mix. "Although I love making cakes from scratch, mixes are so convenient," Elsie informs. "It's fun to spruce them up with goodies like coconut, almonds and chocolate chips."
16-20 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/2 cups evaporated milk, divided
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 24 large marshmallows
- 1 package (14 ounces) flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup Diamond of California Slivered Almonds, toasted
- Mix cake according to package directions, using a 15-in. x 10-in. x
- 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until a
- toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine 1 cup milk and 1 cup sugar;
- bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat. Add
- marshmallows and stir until melted. Stir in the coconut. Spread over
- cake immediately after baking. Cool for 30 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, combine the butter, sugar and remaining milk;
- bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; stir in the chocolate chips
- until melted. Spread over coconut layer; sprinkle with almonds.
- Yield: 16-20 servings.