I like to garnish slices of this smooth, silky pie with coconut shavings for a fun, tropical flair. —Kristine Fry, Fennimore, Wisconsin
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- Shaved fresh coconut, optional
- Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
- Sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand for 1 minute. In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt. Gradually stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until mixture comes to a boil; cook and stir 1 minute longer or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat. Whisk in gelatin mixture until dissolved. Transfer to a large bowl. Refrigerate until slightly thickened, about 30 minutes.
- Add extracts; beat on medium speed for 1 minute. Fold in whipped cream and flaked coconut. Spread into pie crust. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Garnish with shaved fresh coconut if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Coconut Chiffon Pie in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2008, p77
Reviews for Coconut Chiffon Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review