These tender nuggets are great for nibbling, thanks to the coconut, cumin, celery salt and garlic powder that season them. I've served the bites several time for parties, and everyone enjoyed them.
Recommended: 40 Recipes You Won't Believe Are Dairy-Free
- 2 cups flaked coconut
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Place coconut in a blender, cover and process coconut until finely chopped. Transfer to a shallow bowl; set aside. In another shallow bowl, combine egg and milk. Place flour in a third shallow bowl. Coat chicken with flour; dip in egg mixture, then in coconut. Arrange in a single layer on a baking pan. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat 2 in. of oil to 375°. Fry chicken, a few pieces at time, for 1-1/2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels; place in a bowl. Sprinkle with celery salt, garlic powder and cumin; toss to coat. Serve warm. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Coconut Chicken Bites in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2001, p22
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
Reviews for Coconut Chicken Bites
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 22, 2014
"These are so easy to make and are very delicious even the second night for leftovers. The breading is lite ad crispy delicious combination for the chicken."