Coconut-Cherry Cream Squares Recipe
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup flaked coconut
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cold reduced-fat butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 2 teaspoons coconut extract
- 1 can (20 ounces) reduced-sugar cherry pie filling
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the flour, coconut and brown sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Press into a 9-in. square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 7-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- 2. In a small saucepan, combine the flour, sugar, sugar substitute and salt. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- 3. Stir a small amount of hot filling into eggs; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- 4. Gently stir in coconut and extract. Pour over crust. Refrigerate until set. Top with pie filling. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before cutting. Yield: 16 servings.
1 piece: 142 calories, 4g fat (3g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 95mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein Diabetic Exchanges:1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat
Reviews for Coconut-Cherry Cream Squares
"Great custard filling! The crust was a bit chewy after being refrigerated only a few hours. I recommend refrigerating overnight because they tasted even better the next day."
"I made this yesterday and thought the coconut cream middle was bland and rather tasteless."
"I tried this because of my husband's dietary needs. It was easy to make and tastes very good. We will be making this regularly."
"Really yummy. It was a hit at a ladies gathering last week. Thank you!Will definitely make this again. Very easy."
"Made this for my company last week and everyone loved it.Would make it again as it is fast and easy."
"Made this for the first time and my husband loved it. Great combination with the coconut and cherries. He loves coconut and wants me to make it again."
"Sounds delicious! Taking to cards."
"I made this recipe as is but toasted the coconut BEFORE adding it! My spouse LOVED it!"
"Two of my favorite flavors and ingredients: coconut and cherries! I was very pleased with the results, though I did use a real 1/2 cup of sugar instead of 1/4 cup plus sugar substitute equal to 1/4 cup. I would do the latter for those who need special diets. I did use the other reduced-fat and reduced-sugar ingredients and couldn't detect a difference."
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.