You'll be wowed by these cherry-topped delights. With a delectable coconut-custard filling and a thin golden crust, one square will satisfy your sweet tooth. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup flaked coconut
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cold reduced-fat butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 2 teaspoons coconut extract
- 1 can (20 ounces) reduced-sugar cherry pie filling
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, coconut and brown sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Press into a 9-in. square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 7-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small saucepan, combine the flour, sugar, sugar substitute and salt. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot filling into eggs; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Gently stir in coconut and extract. Pour over crust. Refrigerate until set. Top with pie filling. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before cutting. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Coconut-Cherry Cream Squares in Light & Tasty August/September 2005, p44
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Coconut-Cherry Cream Squares
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review