Coconut Cherry Bars Recipe
I enjoy whipping up batches of these by the dozen. Then I fill the decorative tins I collect all year long with the luscious bars and give them as oven-fresh Christmas presents. Everyone loves them!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup cold butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 jar (10 ounces) red or green maraschino cherries
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1. Combine flour and sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Press into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned. For filling, combine brown sugar, flour, baking powder, salt; mix in eggs and vanilla. Drain cherries, reserving juice. Chop cherries; fold into batter along with walnuts. Pour over crust. Bake 20-25 minutes longer or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool. For frosting, beat butter and sugar in a bowl. Gradually stir in 3-4 tablespoons reserved cherry juice until frosting reaches desired spreading consistency. Frost bars; sprinkle with coconut. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 169 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 107 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC