Coconut Cashew Brittle Recipe
This rich buttery brittle has always been part of our Christmas candy collection. Lots of coconut and cashews ensures it's extra scrumptious. —Darlene Brenden, Salem, Oregon
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min. YIELD:24 servings
- 2 tablespons plus 1 cup butter, divided
- 2 cups cashew halves
- 2 cups flaked coconut
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup plus 1 teaspoon water, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1. Butter two 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pans with 1 tablespoon butter each; set aside.
- 2. Combine cashews and coconut on a third 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- 3. In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup and 1/2 cup water. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Add remaining butter; cook and stir until butter is melted. Continue cooking, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage).
- 4. Meanwhile, combine the vanilla, baking soda and remaining water. Remove saucepan from the heat; add cashews and coconut. Add baking soda mixture; stir until light and foamy. Quickly pour onto prepared baking sheets. Spread with a buttered metal spatula to 1/4-in. thickness. Cool before breaking into pieces. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 3 pounds.
1 serving (2 ounces) equals 290 calories, 17 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 277 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC