"When I was a little girl, my grandmother and I used to whip up this no-bake snack to munch on while playing rummy," shares Tammy Schroeder of Aitkin, Minnesota. "I love to throw a batch together and remember those special times."
Recommended: 30 Desserts Ready in 30 Minutes
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 25 caramels
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- In a heavy saucepan, bring butter and milk to a boil; add sugar, vanilla and salt. Cook for 1 minute. Add caramels and stir until melted, about 4 minutes. Stir in oats and coconut.
- Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls onto waxed paper. Let stand until set. Yield: 4-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Coconut Caramel Oat Cookies in Quick Cooking July/August 2001, p54
Reviews for Coconut Caramel Oat Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 20, 2010
"made these for a family reunion. we rolled them into balls. they need to sit a while to soften the oatmeal, but they are outstanding! everyone loved them and several people asked for the recipe."
Reviewed Apr. 18, 2009
"We loved these!"