- center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from
- pans to wire racks.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, egg whites, water and cream
- of tartar. With a portable mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute.
- Continue beating on low speed over low heat until frosting reaches
- 160°, about 9 minutes. Pour into a large bowl; add vanilla. Beat
- on high until frosting forms stiff peaks, about 7 minutes.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1/2 cup frosting
- and sprinkle with 1/3 cup coconut. Repeat. Spread remaining frosting
- over top and sides of cake; sprinkle remaining coconut over the top.
- Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 slice equals 608 calories, 22 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 146 mg cholesterol, 321 mg sodium, 95 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 8 g protein.