Coconut Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 5 egg yolks
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-2/3 cups buttermilk
- 3 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup flaked coconut, divided
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and yolks; mix well. Combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Beat in extract.
- 2. Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 30 -35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- 3. In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, egg whites, water and cream of tartar. With a portable mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating on low speed over low heat until frosting reaches 160°, about 9 minutes. Pour into a large bowl; add vanilla. Beat on high until frosting forms stiff peaks, about 7 minutes.
- 4. Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1/2 cup frosting and sprinkle with 1/3 cup coconut. Repeat. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake; sprinkle remaining coconut over the top. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice: 608 calories, 22g fat (10g saturated fat), 146mg cholesterol, 321mg sodium, 95g carbohydrate (66g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein .
Reviews for Coconut Cake
"This cake is light and tasty. Substituted 1 tsp vanilla extract to lighten the lemon flavor. Still very good."
"cake was not very good"
"This is an elegant, delicious and beautiful cake. It was rich in flavor yet light at the same time! Thank you for a wonderful recipe!"