Coconut Cake Recipe
My grandmother and mother usually made this lovely layer cake for holidays and served it with scoops of homemade custard.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 5 egg yolks
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-2/3 cups buttermilk
- 3 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup flaked coconut, divided
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and yolks; mix well. Combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Beat in extract.
- 2. Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 30 -35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- 3. In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, egg whites, water and cream of tartar. With a portable mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating on low speed over low heat until frosting reaches 160°, about 9 minutes. Pour into a large bowl; add vanilla. Beat on high until frosting forms stiff peaks, about 7 minutes.
- 4. Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1/2 cup frosting and sprinkle with 1/3 cup coconut. Repeat. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake; sprinkle remaining coconut over the top. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice equals 608 calories, 22 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 146 mg cholesterol, 321 mg sodium, 95 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 8 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC