Coconut Cake Supreme
I make most cakes from scratch, but during the holiday rush, this recipe that starts with a mix buys me some time. Most eager eaters don't suspect the shortcut when you dress up the cake with fluffy coconut filling and frosting.
-Betty Claycomb, Alverton, Pennsylvania
10-12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups flaked coconut
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Fresh mint leaves and red gumdrops, optional
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions in two 9-in.
- round baking pans. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to
- wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, in a large bowl, combine sour cream and sugar. Stir in
- coconut (filling will be soft). Set aside 1 cup of filling for
- Cut each cake horizontally into two layers. Place bottom layer on a
- serving plate; top with a third of the filling. Repeat layers twice.
- Top with the remaining cake layer.
- Fold reserved filling into whipped topping; frost cake. Refrigerate
- for at least 4 hours. Garnish with mint and gumdrops if desired.
- Yield: 10-12 servings.