Coconut Cake Supreme Recipe
I make most cakes from scratch, but during the holiday rush, this recipe that starts with a mix buys me some time. Most eager eaters don't suspect the shortcut when you dress up the cake with fluffy coconut filling and frosting. -Betty Claycomb, Alverton, Pennsylvania
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups flaked coconut
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Fresh mint leaves and red gumdrops, optional
- 1. Prepare and bake cake according to package directions in two 9-in. round baking pans. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- 2. For filling, in a large bowl, combine sour cream and sugar. Stir in coconut (filling will be soft). Set aside 1 cup of filling for frosting.
- 3. Cut each cake horizontally into two layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; top with a third of the filling. Repeat layers twice. Top with the remaining cake layer.
- 4. Fold reserved filling into whipped topping; frost cake. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Garnish with mint and gumdrops if desired. Yield: 10-12 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC