I've received many requests for this recipe. It's easy to make and just a little different from other quick breads I've tried.
32 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons coconut extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, oil, eggs and extract. Combine
- the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to sugar mixture
- alternately with buttermilk, stirring just until moistened. Fold in
- coconut and walnuts.
- Pour into two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 325° for
- 60-65 minutes or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out
- clean. Cool 10 minutes in pans before removing from pans to wire
- racks to cool completely. Yield: 2 loaves.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 188 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 93 mg sodium,