These sweet biscuits are wonderful with coffee in the morning.,,or alongside chicken for dinner. "Sometimes I even top them with fresh pineapple or mango chunks and whipped cream for a delicious dessert," suggests Howie Wiener of Spring Hill, Florida. "it's my grandmother's recipe."
18 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut, toasted
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt;
- cut in shortening until crumbly. Combine milk and vanilla; stir into
- dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in coconut. Drop by 2
- tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at
- 425° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
- Yield: about 1-1/2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 116 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 138 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.