Coconut/Banana Cream Pie Recipe
- 3 cups flaked coconut
- 7 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups half-and-half cream
- 4 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large firm bananas, sliced
- Whipped cream and sliced bananas, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, saute coconut in butter until golden. Reserve 2 tablespoons for garnish. Press remaining toasted coconut onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-in. pie plate. Bake at 350° for 7 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- 2. For filling, combine the sugar, flour, cornstarch and salt in a large saucepan. Stir in cream until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in vanilla. Cool to room temperature without stirring.
- 3. Place bananas in the crust. Cover with cream mixture. Refrigerate until set, about 2 hours. Sprinkle with reserved coconut. If desired, garnish with whipped cream and bananas. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 544 calories, 34 g fat (24 g saturated fat), 178 mg cholesterol, 316 mg sodium, 52 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.