- 3 cups flaked coconut
- 7 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups half-and-half cream
- 4 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large firm bananas, sliced
- Whipped cream and sliced bananas, optional
- In a large skillet, saute coconut in butter until golden. Reserve 2 tablespoons for garnish. Press remaining toasted coconut onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-in. pie plate. Bake at 350° for 7 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- For filling, combine the sugar, flour, cornstarch and salt in a large saucepan. Stir in cream until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in vanilla. Cool to room temperature without stirring.
- Place bananas in the crust. Cover with cream mixture. Refrigerate until set, about 2 hours. Sprinkle with reserved coconut. If desired, garnish with whipped cream and bananas. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Coconut/Banana Cream Pie
"VERY GOOD, NICE FLAVOR! A NICE WAY TO FINISH DINNER. THE COCONUT CRUST WAS DELIGHTFULLY REFRESHING. I COULD SEE USING THIS CRUST FOR OTHER CREAM PIES OR A PINA COLADA OR TROPICAL PIE. FAMILY AND FRIENDS ENJOYED IT. IT REMINDED ME A LOT OF WHEN MY GRANDMOTHER MADE HER SIGNATURE BANANA CREAM PIE."
"I modified it by adding two very ripe bananas (mashed) to the custard, and using blue agave (1/2 cup) instead of sugar.Everyone loved it and diabetics can eat it."