You’ll appreciate the fact that this recipe makes a big batch of yummy yeast rolls. I bake as directed, then put half in the freezer. When thawed and reheated, they taste just as good as the day they were made!—Candice Scholl, West Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Featured In: 41 Recipes to Make with Crescent Dough
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups dried apricots, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 4 tablespoons honey, divided
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1-1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Flaked coconut, toasted
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in 1 cup warm water; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the dry cake mix, whole wheat flour, oil, eggs, vanilla, salt and remaining water. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- In a large saucepan, bring apricots and water to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until apricots are tender. Drain. In a bowl, combine the apricots, brown sugar, walnuts, coconut, flour and cinnamon; set aside.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each half into an 18-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Brush melted butter to within 1/2 in. of edges; sprinkle with apricot mixture. Drizzle each with 1 tablespoon honey. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams to seal.
- Cut each into 15 rolls. Place cut side up in two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pans and one 9-in. square baking pan. Drizzle with remaining honey. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Combine the confectioners' sugar, milk, butter and vanilla; drizzle over rolls. Sprinkle with coconut. Serve warm. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Coconut-Apricot Sweet Rolls in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2010, p42
Reviews for Coconut-Apricot Sweet Rolls
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review