Coconut Almond Bars
This was the first recipe I ever entered in a contest—and it was a winner! Ever since that contest, which was sponsored by our local newspaper, people around town tell me they still make these treats.
25 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Cook: 5 min.
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 3-1/2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1-1/2 cups coconut
- 50 whole almonds
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese; add sugar and vanilla. Stir in
- coconut. Turn out onto a 12-in. x 9-in. piece of buttered foil; pat
- into at 10-in. x 5-in. rectangle. Cut into 25 rectangles, each 2 in.
- x 1 in. Press two almonds into the top of each rectangle. Chill.
- Meanwhile, melt chocolate chips and shortening in a microwave or
- double boiler. Carefully dip rectangles in melted chocolate one at a
- time; set on waxed paper to dry. Store in an airtight container in
- the refrigerator(also freeze well). Yield: 25 candies.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 212 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 28 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein.