Cocoa Ripple Squares Recipe
This moist and tender cake from Phyllis Rank of Wapato, Washington is rippled with layers of chocolate and chopped walnuts. It's great for snacking or even breakfast on a cold winter day.
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 8 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 6 tablespoons chopped walnuts, divided
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1. In a small bowl, cream shortening and 6 tablespoons sugar. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Set aside. Combine 3 tablespoons walnuts, cocoa and remaining sugar.
- 2. Spoon a third of the batter into a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with half of the cocoa mixture; dot with half of the butter. Carefully repeat layers. Top with remaining batter and walnuts.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm. Yield: 6 servings.
1 piece: 299 calories, 18g fat (5g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 221mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Cocoa Ripple Squares
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC