- 1/4 cup shortening
- 8 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 6 tablespoons chopped walnuts, divided
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- In a small bowl, cream shortening and 6 tablespoons sugar. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Set aside. Combine 3 tablespoons walnuts, cocoa and remaining sugar.
- Spoon a third of the batter into a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with half of the cocoa mixture; dot with half of the butter. Carefully repeat layers. Top with remaining batter and walnuts.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Cocoa Ripple Squares in Cooking for 2 Winter 2008, p43
Reviews for Cocoa Ripple Squares
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review