Cocoa Meringues with Berries Recipe
Meringues can be challenging on a humid day, but if you're really craving one, meringues can be purchased at your favorite bakery. Add this sweet sauce, and you're all set! Raymonde Bourgeois, Swastika, ON
- 1 egg white
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Dash salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped bittersweet chocolate
- BERRY SAUCE:
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, thawed
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen raspberries, thawed
- 1. Place egg white in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- 2. Preheat oven to 275°. Add cream of tartar and salt; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in 2 tablespoons sugar.
- 3. Combine cocoa and remaining sugar; add to meringue with vanilla. Beat on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold in chopped chocolate.
- 4. Drop two mounds onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Shape into 3-in. cups with the back of a spoon. Bake 50-60 minutes or until set and dry. Turn oven off; leave meringues in oven for 1 hour.
- 5. In a small saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, orange juice and water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in berries. Cool to room temperature. Spoon into meringues. Yield: 2 servings.
1 meringue with 1/2 cup sauce equals 215 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 102 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for Cocoa Meringues with Berries
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC