Cocoa/Marshmallow Cookies Recipe
It was always a treat when Mom made these cookies—and let me help in the kitchen when she did. Nowadays, I always double the recipe because they disappear so fast. The marshmallow is a nice surprise because the frosting hides it.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 large marshmallows, halved
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 3 to 4 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1. In a large bowl, cream sugar and shortening until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and milk. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- 2. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8 minutes. Place half of a marshmallow on each cookie; bake 2 minutes longer.
- 3. Remove from oven and press marshmallows down with a fork. Cool. Meanwhile, for frosting, in a large bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, cocoa, butter and enough milk to reach desired consistency. Pipe onto cookies. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 169 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 113 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC