Cocoa Macaroon Muffins Recipe
This recipe is an old-time favorite that I've modified over the years depending on whether I served them for breakfast, a snack or as dessert. I love chocolate in any form, and these muffins pair it with coconut for a yummy result. -Carol Wilson, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1-1/4 cups flaked coconut, divided
- 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Combine the milk, egg and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- 2. Spoon 2 tablespoonfuls into 12 greased or paper-lined muffin cups. Combine 1 cup coconut, condensed milk and extract; place 2 teaspoonfuls in the center of each cup (do not spread). Top with remaining batter; sprinkle with remaining coconut.
- 3. Bake at 400° for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 253 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 346 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC