Cocoa-Crusted Beef Tenderloin
My family and I have cooking competitions with secret ingredients and a 30-minute time limit. This tenderloin recipe earned me a sweet victory. — Gina Myers, Spokane, Washington
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 beef tenderloin steaks (1-1/2 inches thick and 6 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 3 tablespoons finely ground coffee
- Preheat broiler. Sprinkle steaks with salt and pepper. In a shallow
- bowl, mix cocoa and coffee. Dip steaks in cocoa mixture to coat all
- sides; shake off excess.
- Place steaks on a rack of a broiler pan. Broil 3-4 in. from heat 9-11
- minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for
- medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°;
- well-done, 170°). Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 steak equals 252 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 75 mg cholesterol, 296 mg sodium, 1 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 37 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 5 lean meat.