- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup cold water
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Using a spoon, make three wells in the dry ingredients. Pour oil into one, vinegar into another and vanilla into the third. Slowly pour water over all. Beat on low speed until thoroughly combined (batter will be thin.)
- Pour into a greased and floured 8-in. square baking dish. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews for Cocoa Cake
"I love to make this"
"Wow!! This was such a delicious cake! I made it and then lost the recipe. I forgot that I had it in my recipe box on this site. So glad I found it! I am going to make it tomorrow."
"I've made this recipe many times and it always turns out moist and delicious. It's a good idea to grease the pan, line with parchment paper, and then grease and flour the parchment paper in order to ensure that the cake comes out of the pan easily without falling apart. I double the amount of cocoa and vanilla in this recipe also.The last time I made this cake, I used white whole wheat flour, 1/4 C olive oil, and 3/4 cups honey in place of the original ingredients. It was still delicious and this is how I'll be making it from now on (no white sugar or flour means much less guilt for me!)"
"Loved by 4 boys and a Dad. I've made this more times than I can count. Only recipe I have found to be better than a box. Powdered sugar really is all you need, I agree."
"I found this cake when I was out of work and had no eggs (barely had groceries). I have since made this cake more than any other recipe. I've made it chocolate, vanilla, marbled, with food coloring, with a spice or two. Just made vanilla again last night and there are only two pieces left less than 12 hours later (it's just my boyfriend and me). This cake is awesome!! If you are looking for a quick snack cake to try, this is the one."
"The cake does not have enough chocolate flavor. I've tried it twice. Due to allergies, I need a cake without eggs. On the second round, I doubled the cocoa, added 2 more tablespoons of oil (so it wouldn't be dry) and used buttermilk instead of water. If it weren't for the cream cheese frosting I put on it, my kids probably would not have eaten it! I will try again and add a cup of chocolate chips and chocolate frosting! Be careful not to overbake it."
"I have made this recipe many times. We even subed whole wheat flour and applesauce(for the oil) and it is still wonderful. I have even made this for a few friends and they couldn't tell the difference from regular mixes."
"I made it one time it was o.k, instead of water, I used milk, turned out great, like a sponge cake, no crumbling, second time I made it, not so good?But the first time my boyfriend ate 3-4 pieces by the end of the day...he liked it, maybe third times the charm..."