- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup cold water
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Using a spoon, make three wells in the dry ingredients. Pour oil into one, vinegar into another and vanilla into the third. Slowly pour water over all. Beat on low speed until thoroughly combined (batter will be thin.)
- Pour into a greased and floured 8-in. square baking dish. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews for Cocoa Cake
Sort By :
I love to make this
My Mom made this for us years ago. We knew it by another name - Krazy Cake. And, she mixed it right in the cake pan. For me, it is one of the best chocolate cakes ever.
Wow!! This was such a delicious cake! I made it and then lost the recipe. I forgot that I had it in my recipe box on this site. So glad I found it! I am going to make it tomorrow.
I've made this recipe many times and it always turns out moist and delicious. It's a good idea to grease the pan, line with parchment paper, and then grease and flour the parchment paper in order to ensure that the cake comes out of the pan easily without falling apart. I double the amount of cocoa and vanilla in this recipe also.
The last time I made this cake, I used white whole wheat flour, 1/4 C olive oil, and 3/4 cups honey in place of the original ingredients. It was still delicious and this is how I'll be making it from now on (no white sugar or flour means much less guilt for me!)
Loved by 4 boys and a Dad. I've made this more times than I can count. Only recipe I have found to be better than a box. Powdered sugar really is all you need, I agree.