Cocoa Angel Food Cake Recipe
- 12 egg whites
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1. Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift the flour, 1/2 cup sugar and cocoa together twice; set aside.
- 2. Add cream of tartar and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time.
- 3. Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through the batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- 4. Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece: 150 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 104mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.
Reviews for Cocoa Angel Food Cake
"Really moist and spongy. I had it with a little whipped cream and I would definitely make it again."