Cocoa Angel Food Cake Recipe
"This delicious chocolaty cake is so simple, I've made it hundreds of times," writes Lorraine Olson of Madison, Minnesota. "I never frost it. Instead I serve it with whipped topping, ice cream or sometimes even plain. The recipe won first prize at our county fair."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + standing Bake: 35 min. + cooling YIELD:12 servings
- 12 egg whites
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1. Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift the flour, 1/2 cup sugar and cocoa together twice; set aside.
- 2. Add cream of tartar and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time.
- 3. Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through the batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- 4. Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. Yield: 12 servings.
One piece equals 150 calories, trace fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 104 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC