- 12 egg whites
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift the flour, 1/2 cup sugar and cocoa together twice; set aside.
- Add cream of tartar and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through the batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Cocoa Angel Food Cake
"Made this cake today for my wife who is recovering from heart surgery. Turned out perfect. Delicious cake, perfect texture, and low in calories and sodium. Will definitely be making this again."
"A nice texture...a cross tetween a regular cake and a angel food cake mix....really nice chocolate flavour too...it is one of our favs (and to think that it is a low cal cake!!!!)"
"Really moist and spongy. I had it with a little whipped cream and I would definitely make it again."