Cocoa-Almond Meringue Cookies Recipe
Our Test Kitchen dreamed up these yummy chocolate, almond and coconut treats that taste just like a popular candy bar.
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon baking cocoa, divided
- 1. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add the extracts, cream of tartar and salt; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- 2. Fold in 1/4 cup cocoa. Place mixture in a pastry or heavy-duty resealable plastic bag; cut a small hole in the corner of bag. Pipe meringue in 2-in. circles onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake at 250° for 50-60 minutes or until set and dry. Turn off oven; leave cookies in oven for 1-1/2 hours.
- 3. Dust cookies with remaining cocoa. Carefully remove from parchment paper. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 3 dozen.
One cookie equals 26 calories, trace fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 14 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC