Cobre Valley Casserole
We live in southeastern Arizona, in a part of the state known as Cobre Valley. "Cobre" is Spanish for copper, which is mined here. Variations of this recipe have been enjoyed in this area for many years. —Carolyn Deming, Miami, Arizona
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) refried beans
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, optional
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 large tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/3 cup sliced ripe olives
- 1-1/2 cups crushed tortilla chips
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and celery over medium heat
- until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the taco seasoning,
- water, beans and green chilies if desired.
- Transfer to a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at
- 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through. Top with cheese,
- green onions, tomato, olives and chips. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 298 calories, 15 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 57 mg cholesterol, 790 mg sodium,